This week, we talk about the retina subspecialty for the medical student learner with Dr. Ben Young from the University of Michigan.
After listening to this episode, medical students should be able to:
- Acquire a general understanding of the breadth of practice for the retina subspecialty
- Describe the common examination and imaging techniques for the posterior segment
- Describe common pathologies seen and procedures/surgeries performed on the retina service
0:55 What is retina subspecialty and what makes it unique?
3:14 Favorite aspects of retina subspecialty
4:27 Different methods of examining the posterior segment
12:46 Tips for indirect ophthalmoscopy and examining posterior segment
19:48 Common in-office procedures
23:38 Other procedures like PRP and laser retinopexy
27:00 What is a vitrectomy and when to perform
32:03 First time OR tips
32:57 Takeaways: top skills to practice
34:00 Closing remarks
- Tim Root OphthoBook: https://timroot.com/
- EyeRounds: https://eyerounds.org/
- EyeWiki: https://eyewiki.org/Main_Page
- OCT image: https://www.octscans.com/anatomy-review.html
- EyeGuru OCT Essentials: https://eyeguru.org/essentials/interpreting-octs/
Content of The Lens is for medical education purposes only.
Copyright © 2021 The Lens Newsletter LLC - All Rights Reserved.