This week, we talk about oculoplastics for the medical student learner with Dr. Andrea Tooley from the Mayo Clinic.
After listening to this episode, medical students should be able to:
- Acquire a general understanding of the breadth of practice for the oculoplastics subspecialty
- Describe the common examination and imaging techniques in oculoplastics clinic
- Describe common pathologies seen and procedures/surgeries performed on the oculoplastics service.
2:59 What is oculoplastics and what makes it unique?
4:40 Tips for first-time medical learners in oculoplastics
7:30 Top anatomical structures to learn and know
11:12 Common examination techniques and skills to learn
19:19 In office or minor procedures
22:17 Related rotations/topics for oculoplastics
29:20 A brief aside on Teprotumumab for thyroid eye disease
31:45 Approach to eyelid lumps and bumps
36:12 Common surgeries in the oculoplastics OR
46:40 Surgeries performed outside academic centers
48:42 First time OR tips
53:34 Closing remarks
- Practical Ophthalmology Text: https://store.aao.org/practical-ophthalmology-8th-edition.html
- Eyes for Ears Podcast: https://eyesforears.net/
- AAO Oculoplastics Education Center (images of eyelid lumps and bumps): https://www.aao.org/oculoplastics-center/oculoplastics-education-center
- AAO Careers in Ophthalmology Oculoplastics Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wswGbU8ZUpU
Content of The Lens is for medical education purposes only.
Copyright © 2021 The Lens Newsletter LLC - All Rights Reserved.